Πέμπτη, Φεβρουαρίου 23, 2006

You are old Father William

Για τα γενέθλια του Sraosha και του Rakasha
















`You are old, Father William,' the young man said,
`And your hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on your head--
Do you think, at your age, it is right?'

`In my youth,' Father William replied to his son,
`I feared it might injure the brain;
But, now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again and again.'
















`You are old,' said the youth, `as I mentioned before,
And have grown most uncommonly fat;
Yet you turned a back-somersault in at the door--
Pray, what is the reason of that?'

`In my youth,' said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
`I kept all my limbs very supple
By the use of this ointment--one shilling the box--
Allow me to sell you a couple?'
















`You are old,' said the youth, `and your jaws are too weak
For anything tougher than suet;
Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak--
Pray how did you manage to do it?'

`In my youth,' said his father, `I took to the law,
And argued each case with my wife;
And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw,
Has lasted the rest of my life.'















`You are old,' said the youth, `one would hardly suppose
That your eye was as steady as ever;
Yet you balanced an eel on the end of your nose--
What made you so awfully clever?'

`I have answered three questions, and that is enough,'
Said his father; `don't give yourself airs!
Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
Be off, or I'll kick you down stairs!'



ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND
Lewis Carroll

4 σχόλια:

Katerina είπε...

χεχε υπέροχο!! Ένα από τα αγαπημένα μου βιβλία, που ποτέ δε βαριέμαι να διαβάζω ξανά και ξανά!

Marialena είπε...

Καλημέρα! Η αγγλική μεταφορά του κειμένου ακόμα καλύτερη από τα ελληνικά, θα συμφωνήσω με την Κατερίνα για το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο. Μ.

Sraosha είπε...

(Καθυστερημένα πολύ:) Merci.

Magica de Spell είπε...

Δεν πειράζει η καθυστέρηση Sraosha.
Απορώ όμως, που το ανακάλυψες μετά από τόσο καιρό.

Οι ευχές πάντως κρατάνε για πάντα.